Good Ol’ Fashioned Chunky Potato SoupSep 08, 2022 12:12PM ● By Sandy Matson
Photo via iStock
- 8-10 large Yukon or russet potatoes, cut into 2” chunks
2 - 32 oz. boxes, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/12 cup half & half
1 med onion, minced
3-4 stalks of celery, diced
- scallions (optional)
- shredded cheese
2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
soup pot/dutch oven
- Heat butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add minced onion and celery and sauté until tender. Take out and set aside.
- In the same pan, add potatoes and chicken broth, then heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add half & half, along with sautéed onion/celery mixture. (If you want it a little thicker, you can always add 1/2 cup instant potato flakes or a few more potatoes.)
- Top with scallions and your favorite shredded cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip: If you have leftovers, just add a bit milk/water to thin and reheat.