Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Aug 15, 2018 12:32PM
By Sponsored Content
Mission StatementThe Society of St. Vincent de Paul is dedicated to bringing volunteers together to grow spiritually by offering person-to-person services to the community’s most vulnerable neighbors in need, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or age.
- Pantry and garden volunteers
- Event volunteers
- Event sponsors
- Non-perishable, non-expired pantry items
- New or gently used thrift store items
- Winter coats, all sizes
- $25 monthly, Disciple of Charity memberships
- $100 monthly, Apostle of Charity memberships
- A $200 donation covers one month’s utilities
- A $500 donation provides one month’s rent to avoid a family eviction
- Monetary donations of any size supports the mission
- Fourth Annual Glow ’N’ Go 5K Run|Walk Sept. 29, 2018
- 14th Annual Free Coat Giveaway November 2018
- WOWT Holiday Food Drive for SVdP Pantry December 2018
- 10th Annual Strawberry Brunch June 2019
BackgroundSince 1869, the Omaha Society has served with dignity and respect, linking non-profit international grassroots to the mission of the Society’s patron, St. Vincent de Paul. Over 700 Vincentian volunteers, belonging to 34 parish-based conferences, meet face-to-face during home visits to help the struggling avoid eviction and utility shut-off. The Society also operates four thrift stores and a client-choice food pantry.
Brag LinesResponding to need. Sharing in hope. In 2017:
- 16,428 people received emergency aid of rent or utilities totaling $849,684
- $15,332 impacted 38 households with emergency relief through Ozanam Outreach, a program for non-conferences areas
- 24 years in operation, the SVdP Choice Pantry through 133 volunteers served 11,971 households
- 1,473 individuals received free sets of clothing
- 2,355 men, women and children accepted free winter coats and accessories across the metro
Pay it Forward
Respond to the call to serve the most vulnerable. Visit the website for volunteer opportunities:
- Helpline responder
- Ozanam Outreach worker
- Special events
- Food pantry team
- Garden Angels
- Thrift store or warehouse sorters
- Support the mission and programs financially. The Society of SVdP is a 501(c)(3) organization, relying entirely on financial donations to respond to the increasing community needs.
- Shop SVdP Thrift Stores. Visit the website for store locations and hours.
- Spread the needs of the community. Follow facebook.com/svdpomaha
Society of St. Vincent de Paul Omaha
P.O. Box 241201 Omaha NE 68124-5201 402-779-8499 svdpomaha.com
The Big Give was published in the September/October 2018 edition of Omaha Magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.