Art Show + Party
Nov 18, 2013 04:40PM
By Chris Wolfgang
While RAW as an international, independent arts organization is itself five years old, RAW:Omaha is only now trying out its wings. “We just started in April,” says RAW:Omaha director Amber Keller. “So we didn’t have a full season.”
Due to the short 2013 season, the filmmaker category will be represented by one artist, Rob Kasel, as opposed to the usual three per category this Thursday. The remaining nominees are:
- Accessories Designer: Kristi Schmit; Casey Jones; Champ Champenstein
- Fashion Designer: Jessica Lyn; Haus of Donna Faye; Caine by Caine Westergard
- Hairstylist: Brogan; Tammy Cox; John Paul Eubanks
- Makeup Artist: Lyndee; AJ Torres; Wetworks
- Musician: Morse Code; Omaha Street Percussion; Cannonista
- Performing Arts: Laurel Ann Feller; Flying Eagles Acrobalance Troupe; Gina
- Photographer: Jami Olds; Wanderlustorbust by Katie Seymour; Michelle Woitzel
- Visual Artist: Pristine Art Collection-Anthony Fenner; Madeleine Thoma; Alyssa Rose Keller
A few examples of artistry to expect include Omaha Street Percussion, who will play for guests waiting in line; the Wetworks special effects team’s live demonstration of making up a model; and Alyssa Keller, who will be painting a canvas at her booth.
Given that the goal of RAW is to empower artists professionally, $15 tickets are available online to sponsor a particular artist. Otherwise, general admission tickets online are $17 and $20 at the door.
“Door money doesn’t go to artists directly,” Keller points out. Those fees go instead toward two showcases, one local and the other in another participating RAW city, for each artist plus a media packet. The packets include materials for the artists’ promotional use, such as video interviews of each artist, professional headshots, and candid photos and B-roll footage at their shows.
C.J. America Bergner will host this Thursday’s RAWards semifinal, and Brent Crampton will DJ. The Sokol bar will be open, and Scotty’s Go-Go Grill will be parked outside. Guests should note that the RAWards after-party at House of Loom at 10th and Pacific streets will feature $10 bottles of champagne.