Family Vacation TipsJun 20, 2013 10:18AM ● By Bailey Hemphill
Family vacation is a great opportunity to spend quality time together and create long-lasting memories. Get the most from your family vacation with a couple of quick tips from Boys Town Pediatrics.
PackingMake a list a couple of weeks before your vacation. Add to it as you remember items your family will need. Make sure to include:
- Essential paperwork—pack plane tickets, health insurance cards, passports, and identification cards in a watertight baggie.
- First-aid kit—include Ibuprofen, sunscreen, bug spray, prescription medications, band-aids, contact solution, antiseptic, Pepto-Bismol, sewing kit, disposable wipes, etc.
- Back-up luggage—take precaution in case of lost luggage by packing a set of clothing, toiletries, and essentials in your carry-on.
TravelingDiscuss the travel arrangements and planned activities with your family. The anticipation of riding in an airplane or stopping to see the waterfall will keep them focused on what is to come instead of long travel times. Other travel tips include:
- Bringing a reading or activity book or audio book.
- Playing a game. See who can spot the most license plates from different states or bring cards for the plane ride.
- Watching a movie. Have each child pick from a pre-selected group of movies.
- Planning stops along the way. Sightseeing can prevent restlessness and unnecessary stopping.
- Keeping busy during long layovers. Try to find the children’s play area or watch planes ascend and descend through the windows.
Meal TimeAll the activities your family will do will keep everyone busy but also hungry. By pre-planning your family’s meals, you will save money and keep everyone going for the whole vacation. Fuel your family’s hunger by:
- Carrying along pre-packed, filling snacks.
- Bringing bottled water or a refillable drink container.
- Planning a picnic instead of eating out every meal.
- Picking out a few local treats to prevent too many sweets.
Making MemoriesMake the most of your family vacation budget by booking tickets, excursions, and rentals in advance. Choose a few larger activities and leave room for free time, exploring, and relaxation. Consider free activities that include:
- Hiking a trail or walking the beach.
- Swimming at the hotel pool.
- Bringing bikes and pedaling around town.
- Checking out local events and activities.